The 42. IVU World Vegfest will be hosted by Ghana. Come join vegetarians and vegans from all over the world in Accra, Ghana’s vivid coastal capital. From 1. – 6. October you are invited to participate in this colourful event full of lecturing and celebration. The event catering will be fully plant-based thus vegetarians, vegans, and all others will be 100% satisfied.
The history of this kind of IVU events is long. Starting in 1908 in Dresden, Germany, as the 1. IVU-International World Congress there has been a name change in 2012 towards IVU World Vegfest. Now in 2014 people will come to Accra to enjoy a fine programme at the then 42. IVU event since 1908.
This letter from the Vegetarian Association of Ghana provides you with an overview of the events programme (the by now provisional programme may be subject to changes):
Wednesday, October 1
– Arrivals, registration and opening ceremonies. An international themed dinner for guests in the evening as a way to meet people from around the world.
Thursday, October 2
– Awareness Walk from Kwame Nkrumah Circle to the Ministry of Health. The walk is about 5 km in total and the aim is to create awareness as well as engage the Minister of Health by presenting him with a letter on our position on the state of the nation’s health from a vegetarian perspective.
There will be a dinner and film show in the evening as a way to relax after the walk.
Friday, October 3
– A day visit to two orphanages to donate food items and spend time with the children. A few vegetarian menus will be given to the caterer to try and incorporate a few veggie dishes a week into their diet. Organize clean up exercise with them and have lunch with them.
In the evening there will be a dinner at the Efua Sutherland Children’s Park in Accra. We will use this opportunity to introduce to the world authentic Ghanaian dishes that are suitable for vegetarians. Many of these dishes are almost forgotten in many parts of Ghana today!
Saturday, October 4
– This is the main seminar day. The event will take place at the Accra International Conference Center with two main auditoriums used. This will enable attendants to have a choice at any time of two different speakers and topics to listen to. This part of the event will include a food fair and health products exhibition. The local public will get a chance to sample some veggie dishes.
In the evening we shall have a night of musical performances from enlightened musicians who will be engaged on helping the Association to drive the message to the public on the need to live a healthy lifestyle.
Sunday, October 5
– Vegan Youth Day. This day is especially dedicated to the upcoming generation however this does not mean adults will not attend. It is just a way of highlighting the importance of the next generation seeing the importance of adopting a healthier diet early in life. The event will be held at the Conference center and will include a forum where the youth will be addressed by key note speakers who will help direct their decision making regarding their diet towards a healthier option. There will be youth drama, a question and answers session to help equip the youth with the truth. Attendants shall also enjoy a film show while the food fair and products exhibition will continue. A second room will have speakers addressing the concerns of the adults in attendance simultaneously.
Monday, October 6
– Visit to select tourist attractions outside Accra returning same day. We will have several options of such day trips where depending on budget and time available, guests may choose to join anyone of several guided tours to see more of the host country – Ghana!
Some examples are visits to Cape Coast which will include a visit to the Castle and Kakum Forest Canopy Walkway. A visit to the Akwapim hills where guests can visit the Aburi Botanical gardens and Tetteh Quarshie’s original cocoa farm among other attractions.
During October we will be privileged to have several traditional festivals occurring, namely Odwira in the Akwapim region, Ngmayem festival of the Krobos and the Sasaadu festival of the people of Alavanyo in the Volta region. We shall also have a n option to tour Accra to see the Kwame Nkrumah memorial Park, Old town Accra, the Art Center and more!
Guests wishing to see more of Ghana can do so by booking one of several options of packages that will start on Tuesday morning when most depart. We will be able to arrange accommodation for a range of budgets from hostel to five star. The details of all these options including discounted pricing will be made available shortly so guests can select their tours before they arrive.
We are also working on ways in which we can create more value to encourage vegetarians from other African countries to participate.
We trust that this letter shall leave you with a better impression of the eagerness of the Vegetarian Association of Ghana to host this prestigious event and advance the cause of our vegetarian fraternity worldwide.
“VAG Vegetarian Association of Ghana”
You please will find further information about Ghana and airfaires right here